The Official WordPress Blog Of Edward Hotspur – whoever that is.
Okay, everyone “knows” that the Mayans have predicted the end of the world. According to Wikipedia, the premiere source of all 100% factual and reliable information on the internet:
“According to the Popol Vuh, a book compiling details of creation accounts known to the K’iche’ Maya of the Colonial-era highlands, we are living in the fourth world. The Popol Vuh describes the first three creations that the gods failed in making and the creation of the successful fourth world where men were placed. In the Maya Long Count, the previous creation ended at the start of a 14th b’ak’tun.
The previous creation ended on a long count of 22.214.171.124.19. Another 126.96.36.199.19 will occur on December 20, 2012, followed by the start of the 14th b’ak’tun, 188.8.131.52.0, on December 21, 2012.[n 7] There is only one reference to the current creation’s 13th b’ak’tun in the fragmentary Mayan corpus: Tortuguero Monument 6, part of a ruler’s inscription.”
What that means is the end of some kind of thing will happen on 21 Dec 2012. But let’s consider a few things.
1) The end of the world has been predicted so many times, it’s not funny, and every single one of the predictions has been wrong, from ancient Greeks to U2.
2) Even if the Mayan calendar was somehow the correct one, which, let’s face it, it isn’t, it would just be the end of a cycle, and then the start of another cycle. Just like how you put your lights away and took your tree decorations down sometime this weekend. There will be another one. Look in your stores right now. See any Valentine’s Day stuff out? Yeah, probably.
3) Alignments are ridiculous. The sun goes through a cycle every 25 million years or so that takes it through the galactic plane. It’s been 3 million years. The alignment causes nothing. Also, as far as planets, Jupiter is larger than all the other planets combined. When Jupiter is in opposition to the earth, it causes less than 1% of the gravity disruption than the moon causes every single day. Heard of tides? Yeah.
4) Rogue planets are ridiculous. The planet referred to as either “Planet X”, subject of numerous poll responses on JREF, or “Nibiru”, subject of many serious discussions on the whackjob site Atlantis Rising, does not exist, and will not impact the earth. If it was even on a trajectory to hit the earth, it would be visible. Right now. Hiding in your closet.
This is the most important one.
5) The Mayans couldn’t even predict the end of their autonomous civilization. Why would we think they could predict the end of the entire world? They were a civilization for thousands of years, but as soon as the Spanish came, bam, end of the 17th century they had all been conquered. Did we see any texts about that? No. No mention of their downfall. So why should we believe the meanderings and wishful thinking of the people who either are crazy enough to believe it, or who have a financial stake in believing it? We shouldn’t.
Bonus reason: Furthermore, the end of the world comes awfully close to Christmas. Many of us will be traveling that day, or awaiting people traveling to us. There will be shopping to do, and presents to wrap, and food to buy, and it’s awfully inconvenient for the end of the world to be happening right then. If the Mayans were smart at all, they’d have waited until, say, the middle of August when nothing is going on.
So how much stock can we put in this calendar thing? Why would we buy into it?
One reason: Partying. So make sure you stock up on your end-of-world party gear, like a book, a book, a book or a t-shirt! Or maybe some alcohol, alcohol, or alcohol ! And of course, some fireworks. Why not have it twice? End of world, and then later, New Year’s Eve? How cool is that? As cool as a Choose Your Own Blog Adventure?
So don’t fear any literal end of the world. It’s going to continue long after anyone reading this is gone, unless for some reason this becomes some kind of holy text in a future civilization, which it might. Silly Human Race!
Help Libby’s World! Visit Wrists Around The World and help her battle cancer…