This Daily Prompt post wants to know:
Tell us about a time you did a 180 — changed your views on something, reversed a decision, or acted in a way you ordinarily don’t.
I remember a phenomenon that happened a long time ago, before I discovered a law. I was in a car with a friend, and he was listening to Bowie, back before I acquired my current attitude towards music (i.e., stopped being a douche canoe). I said something like ‘Bowie, he looks like a woman. What are you doing, man?” He stared at me. A year later, this guy purchases ChangesOneBowie. Not that guy. Me.
Later, I am in college living in a dorm, and I see these guys who look kind of weird. In my dorm room is an enormous poster of Iron Maiden. I had just heard of The Cult. They have an album. I ask them if it was The Cult. They inform me that no, in fact it was the Cure. Hey, easy mistake, right? Both start with ‘the Cu’. They are disgusted. One year later, I buy Standing On The Beach: The Singles, Head On The Door, Kiss Me^3, and Boys Don’t Cry. Three years after that, I am at a concert, white shirt untucked, black pants, eyeliner, lipstick, and hair teased up to heaven, seeing the Cure. Since my hair was more brown than black, I am informed that I look more like Ian McCulloch than Robert Smith, but that’s okay.
Unfortunately, I hate smoking, but one not-so-fine day, I find a pack of smokes in the back of a car and, being of drunk mind and body, proceed to smoke for 13 years, off and on. I still hated it, but I did it. Until I didn’t, about 12 years ago.
In the late 1980s, we listened to a 6-CD changer, played euchre and drank Keystone Light. The 6 CDs were actually 8, but we could only do 6 at a time. Eponymous and Document by R.E.M., Book of Days by Psych Furs, Deep by Peter Murphy, Love and Rockets by Love and Rockets, Electric by The Cult, and Box of Frogs and Queen Elvis by Robyn Hitchcock. Put 6 of them in, hit random, and off to the races. On Queen Elvis, in one of the songs, The Devil’s Coachman, was the following line:
Everything you say you won’t is what you will eventually.
Which I began referring to as Hitchcock’s Law.
To me, it basically means that quite often, we become the very thing we rail against, or like the things we thought we hated. In other words, experience changes your perspective.
- Daily Post: 180 Degrees | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- 180 degrees | Taking time, making time
- Why You Shouldn’t Just Assume that North Korea is Crazy | Never Stationary
- My Very First Time | Stuphblog
- War And Courage | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | Completely Disappear
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees – Tiny’s Story | Rolbos ©
- Almost became “trained” | Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | likereadingontrains
- 117. The Family Van: Doing a 180: DPChalenge | Sofie’s Diary
- Enabling road kill: today’s 180 | Miss Moiety
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | بيسان
- No way, not on your nelly… where do I sign? | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Daily Post: Wait A Minute! | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees In Thought And Action | My Blog
- 180 Degree Turn | thelissachronicles
- Bosch? Tefal? Rowenta? Braun? | Philosophy & Photography
- I can’t believe you believe that | writemybrainsout
- Never judge a book…or a market holder! | thoughtsofrkh
- This one time… | thematticuskingdom
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | Becoming Aussie
- Don’t judge a book by it’s cover | knocked over by a feather
- Turning Myself Around | So You Think You Can Think
- Meet Bellamy | Ald+R
- Daily prompt: outside of the comfort zone | The Small Girl Chronicles
- Hokey Pokey | Nana’s Musings
- 180 Degrees | The Nameless One
- Daily Post: 180 Degrees! | EMBRACE YOU
- How I Got My “A” | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- Thoughts on Reversal | Mind of a Mouse
- It’s Not Easy Eating Green | This Thread Sucks
- Post a Week: 180 | sketches and scribbles (reloaded)
- 180° | Yeahthtsme
- Lost | theloneshewolf
- Daily Prompt: Never | Cytherean Dreams
- Turning Myself Around- Part 2 | So You Think You Can Think
- On Dreams and Pre-Destined Dilemmas. | Share, My Dad Says.
- Changing my point of view | My thought exactly…!
- Degrees of Right | Paul Scribbles
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | Mostly Just Fiction
- 180 ̊̊̊̊ | atomickaleidoscope | Kaleidoscopic World in Words
- I Walk the Line | The Daily Dilly Dally
- The Third Law Of Unfairness | Fish Of Gold
- TheDeafia | Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees
- Just *%$@#&? Relax! (edwardhotspur.wordpress.com)