Daily Prompt asks (Musical):
What role does music play in your life?
As I said in the title, it’s the only drug with no harmful side effects. It’s the mood-altering substance that guides you into whatever mood you like – uplifting, calm, excited, sleepy, sensuous, sexy, or some combination. If you are depressed, for example, you can listen to depressing music, and it makes you feel a little better to know that others feel as you do, viscerally, and you share something with someone else in the world. At the same time, you could also listen to uplifting music which ends your depression (hopefully) and puts you in a much better mood. If you want to relax and be happy, you can listen to ambient – but if you want to sit still yet be thrilled, just add drums under it and it’s relaxing music over a heart-pumping beat.
It’s impossible to listen to too much music. You can do it while you’re doing nearly anything else, and it sets moods without you realizing it sometimes. Consider movies – it’s not realistic, sure, but think how empty and stark movies would be without music behind and under them.
It’s a stretch sometimes to find music that hasn’t been done before, but it’s possible. At the very least, music can be new to you. I am pleasantly surprised all the time, especially when people I’ve inspired to listen to certain artists share a song with me I hadn’t heard before – right, Hasty? Thanks for Itoshii Hito! And Guapo! Thanks for Don’t Gotta Work It Out, and all the other music you put on your blog!
That’s another thing – sometimes the best way to hear music you’ve never heard before is to listen to it in another language. The vocals become another instrument, until you look up the translation – then they become shorthand for the emotions you felt when you read the translated words. Unlike drugs, you can get addicted to music without suffering any hardships. You can listen to as many different types of music as there are artists to make them. And you can listen to as much music in one night as you want, and you never get out of control. I’ve covered lots of these in my Musicology posts. In any case, get into it – music helps every situation.
Okay, before I start getting all mystical and shit, there’s also lots of comedic music – some novelty, that are really just sung jokes, and some are brilliant. This is where most people can come together and agree on music. There are some amazing artists, witty and hilarious.
- Daily Prompt: Musical (officialmattroberts.com)
- Daily Prompt:Musical (simplyjyune.com)
- Autoeulogy Of Hotspur – A Daily Prompt Post (lyricalanarchy.wordpress.com)
- Tormented By The Daily Prompt | The Chatter Blog
- Daily Prompt: Musical | Family Photos Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt: Musical | My Love for Music | Loading…
- Sébastien Laligne at Le Tilleul « Kerry Dwyer
- Waiting for the Gift of Sound & Vision | The Mercenary Researcher
- Daily Prompt: Musical « Hope* the happy hugger
- Music = Life « My thoughts, My life
- The Sound Of Music « mightwar
- Use music to anchor your strengths « Melanie Ryding – Ryding2Health BLOG
- Daily Prompt: Musical | Matt Roberts
- Daily Prompt: Musical « emma wolf
- Daily Prompt: Musical « Completely Disappear
- Music communicates where words cannot « Being Special
- Daily Prompt: Musical | Reminiscences | lena de almeida
- Daily Prompt: Musical | Mind of Shoo
- 26 / 365 – Filmfutter, X Files / DP 26.1.: Musical / Our Dog: Egg or Apple – Lisa: Ei oder Apfel? « OceanPhoenix
- Music – A Universal Language « theseeker
- Music! Music! Music! | Misifusa’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Musical | The Evolving Dad
- Music. | jaycee68
- How Music Matters (to me) | The Nameless One