Oh…Oh Daily Prompt... I can’t believe you brought that up. That’s not… Whoa. Is this the time or the place? What was it you said again?
“It’s never a good idea to discuss religion or politics with people you don’t really know.” Agree or disagree?
Oh yeah. Well, Politics and Religion are the two things I have almost never talked about on my blog. I’ve maybe made some comments, and a post or two out of like 1100 posts on politics, but I’ve never made one on religion. Nothing divides people more than politics. Except religion. In America, politics is pretty much between two sides. But religion? Sheesh. Even within religions, there are sects – particularly with parishioners – and denominations – particularly 10s and 20s. There are fun-loving groups like Westboro Baptist Church, and fun-loving organizations like Chick-fil-A. And that’s all I got to say about that.
Nothing will turn off half your viewers, listeners, readers or fans in general than spouting on about some religious viewpoint, in my opinion. But don’t get me wrong – among people you know fairly well, these topics can be fun to talk about, and even joke about! I had a coworker and we used to exchange jabs from our sides, him pretending to call the paramedics so my heart won’t bleed to death, and me coming up with zingers like “Conservatives won’t eat banana splits, because they can’t stand the idea of splitting anything.” But that was between coworkers who liked and respected each other, even though every single thing he said was wrong!
So I agree. It’s never, or nearly never, a good idea to discuss those two things with people you don’t really know. The only time I can see that would be acceptable is if you take one side, take angry calls from the other side, and sell ads to both sides.
- Daily Prompt: Polite Company Discussing Religion or Politics??? (layedbacklife.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Religion and Politics – Oil and Wine or Coffee and Cream? (1manandhisbooks.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Polite Company (diaryofdennis.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Polite Company And Old Men (marilyndavies.wordpress.com)
- And if you disagree with me, you are an idiot (artmoscow.wordpress.com)
- Polite Company – Boring (theseeker57.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Polite Company (layedbacklife.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Polite Company (ladyboymirror.com)
- Daily Prompt: Polite Company (keiththegreen.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Polite Company (jdcgzm.wordpress.com)